We just came across a great article on improving marriage by the (AAML) American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. You can read the whole article here.
They conclude the article with these 12 ways to improve your marriage:
- Treat your spouse like your best friend or most important colleague.
- Don’t expect to get more from your spouse than you give of yourself.
- Don’t lose your sense of humor; have fun with your spouse.
- Don’t demean your spouse in public or in private.
- Learn to listen, learn to hear.
- Learn to argue respectfully.
- Look for resolution rather than victory.
- Assess your own mistakes and acknowledge them.
- When you apologize, mean it, and sound like it. Be short on blame and long on forgiveness.
- Be willing to change your opinions and attitudes.
- Look at changes in your life as an opportunity to grow.
- Don’t try to change your spouse; accept your spouse “as is.”